If not, you should!
Internet Archive is a non-profit organization that aims to collect many kinds of documents in order to build an internet library.
It was founded in 1996 in San Francisco and it started its activity thanks to data donations. In 1999, the organization started to grow and included more data collections.
Now the Internet Archive offers access to a wide range of data such as texts, audio, software, video and the brand new TV news.
Internet Archive is a precious resource for everyone: researchers, students, historians and also for libraries.
What you can find in Internet Archive:
- Web: 391 billion web pages saved;
- Video: every kind of digital movies uploaded by users )full-lenght films, broadcasts, cartoons, concerts, etc.). Many of them are available for free download;
- Text: over 5 million books and items from over 1,500-curated collections. It includes a wide range of literature, historical texts and research material and wonderful thematic collections like Children’s Classics, Cookbooks and Genealogy. These collections were digitized from various mediatypes including microfilm and microfiche, journals and serial publications, and a wide variety of archival material. Significant contributions have come from partners in North America, Europe and Asia, representing more than 184 languages:
- Audio: recordings ranging from alternative news programming, to Grateful Dead concerts, to Old Time Radio shows, to book and poetry readings, to original music uploaded by our users. Many of these audios and MP3s are available for free download;
- Software: a broad range of software related materials including shareware, freeware, video news releases about software titles, speed runs of actual software game play, previews and promos for software games, high-score and skill replays of various game genres, and the art of filmmaking with real-time computer game engines;
- TVNews: 541,000 news programs collected over 4 years from national U.S. networks and stations in San Francisco and Washington D.C.
Go to https://archive.org/ and discover it!!